Saint-Nom-la-Breteche has updated its graphic identity with a modern symbol of identity based on one of the signs from the old coat of arms: the cinquefoil. This five-leaf grass symbolizes not only the forest of Marly, but also the five districts of the village: Saint-Nom, La Breteche, Valmartin, the Tuilerie and the Vallon.
Modernized and stylized in a contemporary and dynamic way, the logo remains the link between the town's past (its history and heritage) and its future. It depicts also people's activity in the village, its very heart. A value of unity and harmony, a social bond between inhabitants. This logo is part of a general updating of the town's values, and as such is the visual element of this identity for its inhabitants.
The curves of the new design evoke harmony, a good life in a protective valley. The stability and strength of the core structure are reminiscent of the trees of the forest. The contrast between the curves and the dynamic form of the five-grassed leaf refers to a sense of balance and stability. Finally, green and blue are colours linked with nature, an inescapable element of our village.
The coat of arms shows in its centre a “fasce bretessée” which evokes the etymology of Bretèche (latin bretachiae): part of a fortification built at the entrance of the forest.
The three five-leave grasses symbolize the forest of Marly-le-Roi, a large part of which (400hectares) is to be found on our village land.
The fork-tailed lion comes from the seal of Amaury VI de Montfort, shown on a charter dating back to 1226 and leased to the Monks of the Abbey of the Vaux de Cernay (who founded the Ferme de Saint Nom).
The crown of the crest shows a three-towered wall, which was the symbol worn by Greek goddesses, guardians of the cities.
The latin motto, “Angulus Ridet” means “This area smiles upon us”.
History of the Village
The village takes its name from a ninth century bishop, Saint Nonne, who re-evangelized the country after the Norman invasions, and from La Bretesche, a wooden stronghold (breiteiche: big oak tree), the main hamlet at the edge of the Forest of Cruye.
For many years the hamlet was called Saint Nonne in the Val de Galie, the name of the parish, then it became Saint Nom near la Bretesche and to-day Saint-Nom-la-Bretèche. During the Revolution the district was called “La Montagne Fromentale” then “l'Union la Bretesche”.
The hamlets of Avinières, Val-Martin, and La Tuilerie-Bignon were under the responsibility of numerous lords, the Dames de Poissy and the Vaux de Cernay Abbey.The north of the village, La Bretèche, was part of Parc de Marly, whilst the south, Saint Nom, was part of the Parc de Versailles. This made it difficult for the village as a whole to acquire an identity.
The demographic growth of recent years has unified the two villages and led to the building of a “Village Centre”.
Four hamlets for a village
The Ferme de Saint-Nom, given by a lord of Poissy to the Vaux de Cernay monastery in 1228, benefited from numerous donations and a gradual acquisition of plots of land. The Cistercian monks turned this agricultural estate into a model farm, with buildings set around a courtyard. Sold as public property during the Revolution, the farm was greatly modified during the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries and today lodgings can be found there. The only memento of the farm is its name written over the entrance.
The Tuilerie-Bignon, also part of the Parc de Versailles is now home to one of the most prestigious French golf courses, le Golf de Saint Nom la Bretèche which has a worldwide reputation.
The Château de la Bretèche, feudal land of the Pomereu family for over two centuries, was sold to the King, Louis XIV, in 1700 for the Comte de Toulouse (legitimate son of the King and Madame de Montespan) as a hunting lodge. The castle was subsequently purchased by numerous lords, one of whom was Jean-Pierre Richard, father of the painter and engraver Jean-Claude Richard, “Abbé de Saint-Non”.
The Ferme de Valmartin was part of a seigneurie until 1600 when it was sold to the nuns of the Royal convent of the Dames de Poissy. Later transformed into a farm, it was used to breed merino sheep by the end of the seventeenth century. The farm was sold as public property during the Revolution.
The church, which was originally a tithe barn belonging to the Ferme de Saint-Nom, was protected by a watchtower as far back as the twelfth century. Several times extended, ruined and remodelled, the church was restored in the 1980s.
It has been listed as a historical monument since 1977.
“Les Amis de Saint Nom la Bretêche”