Welcome to Saint-Nom-la-Bretèche

>> Formalities for new foreign residents

>> Activities to help you settle in:

" AVF Accueil des Villes Françaises", a newcomers’ club,  has a branch in our village and can offer you practical information on moving to a new place, a programme of social gatherings and a variety of cultural, manual, sport and leisure activities.
Internet : (AVF page in menu)
E-mail :

French Lessons for foreigners are available at the JKM Cultural Centre.


Your arrival in France involves certain formalities. Below you will find some links where you can obtain advice and information related to various administrative steps and to organisations which may help you settle in to life in our village.
For further information about public services visit the site where you have information in English, German and Spanish

Carte de séjour No longer compulsory for residents originating from member countries of the EU or Switzerland. However, you must register at the town hall (Mairie) within three months of your arrival in France. 
Other foreign residents must have a carte de séjour. Apply without delay to the Préfecture de Versailles. See:

Residents originating from member countries of the EU are eligible to vote in local and European elections. Register at the Town Hall by 31st December of the preceding year. Proof of residence and identity required.

Family allowance:
Available to all persons qualifying as a resident in France with two children : Caisse d’Allocations Familiales in Saint-Germain-en-Laye.

Fill in forms available from the Town Hall and attach:
- Affidavit of law (certificat de coutume)
- Single status certificate (certificat de célibat)
- Birth certificate
- Photocopies of witnesses’ identity papers
- Plus same documents as for French citizens (see here) ie: valid passport or residence permit (carte de séjour) for each fiancé, proof of residence, recent utilities bill showing name and address. Check which documents need to be translated by an official translator (see below).

Public transport:   
If you use public transport on a regular basis, you might prefer to purchase a Carte Navigo which can be obtained for weekly or monthly travel. See:

Social Security:

Tax returns:

Discounted Travel Card: If you qualify as a EU resident in France and have at least 3 children under the age of 18, you may be eligible for the Carte de Familles Nombreuses which gives you discounted travel on the trains (and other reductions). Application form :   

Translation of certain official documents may need to be done by an official translator. Check with the relevant authority. A list of translators can be obtained from the Préfecture de Versailles.

Lost Property:
Enquire at the Town Hall for items lost in the Saint-Nom-la-Bretèche area.
For the Paris region address your enquiries by email to: